Pages

Friday, January 1, 2016

Conversations with Chhavi - 3


One day I was eating some Mangalorean sweet dish. Chhavi came and pulled it away from me in order to have it for herself, as she always does. She was happily munching away when I came with another dish (Puran Poli - Holige) and I fed a few pieces to her. Immediately, she switched both our plates and said... Mamma, neenu idu tinnu, naanu idu tintini. (Mamma, you eat this and ill eat this - pointing to our switched plates). All of us were dumb founded.

***********************************************************************************************

I bought Chhavi a box of color pencils the other day and she is obsessed with it. She finds a piece of paper each time and starts scribbling on it. When we take the pencil and hold it in reverse position, she goes - ulta, ulta... she holds it right and then says - heege baribeku (You should write like this). Doesn't miss even a single time.

***********************************************************************************************

When she doesnt want to do something, if we ask her to do it, she immediately says - Naanu maaDalla, naanu hogalla... or the same in Konkani, haava karna, haava vachana, haava khayna etc., meaning, I wont do, I wont go.. I wont eat..... I wont 'something else'.

She is very determined about it. Also, from the past few days - being at my parents' house has improved her konkani a lot. She has picked up quite a bit from my mom and dad and she fluently says different things, which I never taught her or cant remember having spoken to her about.

***********************************************************************************************


No comments:

Post a Comment